Dec 19, 2012, 2:24 PM EDT
WILMINGTON, North Carolina – With a late-morning practice in the books, the UNCW men’s basketball team headed over to the Salvation Army’s “Toys for Tots” distribution center Tuesday afternoon to show they’re in the holiday spirit.
Members of the team assisted volunteers with sorting mounds of toys, helping shoppers, moving boxes and carrying carts loaded with toys to waiting cars. Kimberly Bell, volunteer coordinator for the Salvation Army for the past several years, said the group’s work could not be done without the support of everyone in the community.
“It’s great having the Seahawks here,” said Bell. “Everyone loves having them around because they’re enthusiastic and energetic, and other people feed off of that.”
The center, located off Independence Boulevard behind Hanover Center, opened in early October and distribution began on Nov. 1. Bell said more than 5,000 children will receive 1-3 toys from the allotment of 17,000 items expected to be collected and sorted.
“No gift is too small to be donated,” added Bell. “We have stockings to fill, so a deck of cards is just as much appreciated as a bicycle is.”
About CAA Hoop Scoop
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
- CAA Announces MBB Conference Schedule
- #CAAHoopsUnder25 William & Mary at James Madison
- JMU Announces Non-Conference Slate
- Towson Unveils Non-Conference Schedule
- Delaware Releases Non-Conference MBB Slate
- #CAAHoopsUnder25 Drexel at Towson
- #CAAHoopsUnder25 Elon at James Madison
- #CAAHoopsUnder25 Charleston vs UNCW
- #CAAHoopsUnder25 Drexel at Hofstra
- Hathaway Named MBB Oversight Committee Chair