Dec 19, 2012, 2:24 PM EDT
WILMINGTON, North Carolina – With a late-morning practice in the books, the UNCW men’s basketball team headed over to the Salvation Army’s “Toys for Tots” distribution center Tuesday afternoon to show they’re in the holiday spirit.
Members of the team assisted volunteers with sorting mounds of toys, helping shoppers, moving boxes and carrying carts loaded with toys to waiting cars. Kimberly Bell, volunteer coordinator for the Salvation Army for the past several years, said the group’s work could not be done without the support of everyone in the community.
“It’s great having the Seahawks here,” said Bell. “Everyone loves having them around because they’re enthusiastic and energetic, and other people feed off of that.”
The center, located off Independence Boulevard behind Hanover Center, opened in early October and distribution began on Nov. 1. Bell said more than 5,000 children will receive 1-3 toys from the allotment of 17,000 items expected to be collected and sorted.
“No gift is too small to be donated,” added Bell. “We have stockings to fill, so a deck of cards is just as much appreciated as a bicycle is.”
About CAA Hoop Scoop
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
#CAASports on Instagram
- Dawkins, Smart Recognized On NABC Give Back Team
- 2017-18 CAA Men's Basketball Final Report
- Bailey, Gustys Honored On Scholar-Athlete Team
- W&M's Burchfield Captures 3-Point Championship
- Gustys Chosen To Play In College All-Star Game
- Burchfield To Compete In 3-Point Championship
- CAA Team Set For 3X3U National Championship
- Wright-Foreman Named ECAC Player Of The Year
- Coen Named NABC District 10 Coach of the Year
- Charleston Falls 62-58 To Auburn In NCAA Tourney