Dec 19, 2012, 2:24 PM EST
WILMINGTON, North Carolina – With a late-morning practice in the books, the UNCW men’s basketball team headed over to the Salvation Army’s “Toys for Tots” distribution center Tuesday afternoon to show they’re in the holiday spirit.
Members of the team assisted volunteers with sorting mounds of toys, helping shoppers, moving boxes and carrying carts loaded with toys to waiting cars. Kimberly Bell, volunteer coordinator for the Salvation Army for the past several years, said the group’s work could not be done without the support of everyone in the community.
“It’s great having the Seahawks here,” said Bell. “Everyone loves having them around because they’re enthusiastic and energetic, and other people feed off of that.”
The center, located off Independence Boulevard behind Hanover Center, opened in early October and distribution began on Nov. 1. Bell said more than 5,000 children will receive 1-3 toys from the allotment of 17,000 items expected to be collected and sorted.
“No gift is too small to be donated,” added Bell. “We have stockings to fill, so a deck of cards is just as much appreciated as a bicycle is.”
About CAA Hoop Scoop
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
- Men's Basketball Weekly Honors - Nov. 13
- Opening Weekend For CAA Men's Basketball
- Plenty Of Options To Watch CAA Men's Basketball
- Hofstra's Gustys Named To Karl Malone Watch List
- CAA Men's Basketball Media Day Teleconference
- CofC Favored To Win CAA Men's Basketball Title
- Watch Men's Basketball Media Day Show
- #CAAHoops Digital Media Days Set For Oct. 18-19
- Elon Releases Non-Conference Schedule
- Northeastern Releases Non-Conference Schedule