Feb 2, 2013, 5:39 PM EDT
It was a record-setting day for Georgia State freshman guard R.J. Hunter as he poured in a career-high 38 points in the Panthers’ 83-63 victory over Old Dominion on Saturday afternoon.
Hunter finished 10-for-15 from three-point range, setting a new GSU mark for treys made in a game while tying the CAA record set by George Mason’s Dre Smith on January 19, 2008.
“My teammates did a great job of getting me the ball tonight,” commented R.J. Hunter. “The basket looked as wide as it ever has for me and I just took advantage of it. I didn’t even realize until after the game that I had made 10 three-pointers.”
The 38 points were the most by any CAA player this season and the most by a GSU player since Anton Reese scored 38 against Kansas State on Nov. 28, 1998. At one point in the second half, Hunter scored 19-straight Panther points with five three-pointers, two free throws and a dunk.
Hunter is one of six freshmen in the nation to be averaging at least 16 points and five rebounds per game. He has scored 20 or more points 10 times this season.
The victory was the sixth in the last seven games for Georgia State and improved the Panthers to 7-4 in the CAA.
About CAA Hoop Scoop
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
- Hofstra's Gustys Named To Karl Malone Watch List
- CAA Men's Basketball Media Day Teleconference
- CofC Favored To Win CAA Men's Basketball Title
- Watch Men's Basketball Media Day Show
- #CAAHoops Digital Media Days Set For Oct. 18-19
- Elon Releases Non-Conference Schedule
- Northeastern Releases Non-Conference Schedule
- W&M Announces Non-Conference Schedule
- #CAAHoopsUnder25 Charleston vs UNCW
- #CAAHoopsUnder25 Elon at Delaware