Feb 2, 2013, 5:39 PM EDT
It was a record-setting day for Georgia State freshman guard R.J. Hunter as he poured in a career-high 38 points in the Panthers’ 83-63 victory over Old Dominion on Saturday afternoon.
Hunter finished 10-for-15 from three-point range, setting a new GSU mark for treys made in a game while tying the CAA record set by George Mason’s Dre Smith on January 19, 2008.
“My teammates did a great job of getting me the ball tonight,” commented R.J. Hunter. “The basket looked as wide as it ever has for me and I just took advantage of it. I didn’t even realize until after the game that I had made 10 three-pointers.”
The 38 points were the most by any CAA player this season and the most by a GSU player since Anton Reese scored 38 against Kansas State on Nov. 28, 1998. At one point in the second half, Hunter scored 19-straight Panther points with five three-pointers, two free throws and a dunk.
Hunter is one of six freshmen in the nation to be averaging at least 16 points and five rebounds per game. He has scored 20 or more points 10 times this season.
The victory was the sixth in the last seven games for Georgia State and improved the Panthers to 7-4 in the CAA.
About CAA Hoop Scoop
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
#CAASports on Instagram
There was an error retrieving images from Instagram. An attempt will be remade in a few minutes.
- CAA Men's Basketball Championship Moving To Washington DC In 2020
- #CAAHoops Summer School - Delaware Men
- #CAAHoops Summer School - Charleston Men
- Dawkins, Smart Recognized On NABC Give Back Team
- 2017-18 CAA Men's Basketball Final Report
- Bailey, Gustys Honored On Scholar-Athlete Team
- W&M's Burchfield Captures 3-Point Championship
- Gustys Chosen To Play In College All-Star Game
- Burchfield To Compete In 3-Point Championship
- CAA Team Set For 3X3U National Championship