Jul 25, 2013, 2:04 PM EDT
Incoming Hofstra University freshman Eliel Gonzalez has been chosen as a participant in Basketball Without Borders (BWB) Americas 2013 program, which incorporates global basketball development and social responsibility, the school announced on Thursday.
Gonzalez will join a select group of players, who were chosen by the International Basketball Federation’s (FIBA), the NBA and other participating basketball federations, for an event in CENARD in Buenos Aires, Argentina, from July 25-28. Players were chosen based off basketball skills, leadership abilities and a dedication to the game of basketball.
This past year, Gonzalez attended the Florida Air Academy in Melbourne, Fla., and earned first-team All-Space Coast honors and was selected to play in the 2012 Jordan Brand Classic International game. He averaged 11.6 points, 8.1 assists and 5.3 rebounds per game with the Falcons last season.
Originally from Cayey, Puerto Rico, the 6-foot-3 guard Gonzalez also played for his home nation’s U16 Team in 2011.
The campers will be guided at the event by NBA players and coaches, including: Carlos Delfino, formally of the Houston Rockets, Manu Ginobili of the San Antonio Spurs, Phoenix Suns’ Luis Scola and numerous other NBA coaching and player figures. Campers will not only learn valuable basketball skills, but also will participate in daily life-skills seminars on values such as character development, leadership, and how to live a healthy lifestyle.
The Pride finished the 2012-13 campaign with a 7-25 (4-14 CAA) record.
About CAA Hoop Scoop
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
#CAASports on Instagram
There was an error retrieving images from Instagram. An attempt will be remade in a few minutes.
- Nine CAA Men's Basketball Players Selected To NABC Honors Court
- #CAAHoops Summer School - James Madison Men
- Three CAA Men's Basketball Programs Earn NABC Team Academic Excllence Awards
- #CAAHoops Summer School - Hofstra Men
- #CAAHoops Summer School - Drexel Men
- CAA Announces 2018-19 Men's Basketball Conference Schedule
- #CAAHoops Summer School - Elon Men
- CAA Men's Basketball Championship Moving To Washington DC In 2020
- #CAAHoops Summer School - Delaware Men
- #CAAHoops Summer School - Charleston Men