Aug 12, 2013, 2:37 PM EDT
University of Delaware men’s basketball head coach Monté Ross has announced the addition of senior guard Davon Usher, who has transferred to Delaware from Mississippi Valley State and will become immediately eligible for the Blue Hens.
Usher, a 6-6 guard from South Baltimore, Md., averaged 18.8 points per game last season for the Delta Devils, which led the SWAC and ranked 32nd in Division I. Usher, who has one year of eligibility remaining, is eligible this season since Mississippi Valley State is being penalized with a postseason ban this year due to low Academic Progress Rate scores.
In addition to leading the SWAC in scoring, Usher ranked third in the league with a 39.6 three-point percentage, fourth with a 78.0 free throw percentage, fifth with 45 steals, ninth with 6.1 rebounds per game, and 11th with a 41.7 field goal percentage. He reached double figures in all but three games on the year, eclipsing the 20-point mark 10 times and recording three 30-point efforts. A second team all-conference selection, Usher scored a season-high 35 points at Big Ten opponent Northwestern on Nov. 15.
Usher was a first team All-Metro honoree at Digital Harbor High School in Baltimore, before playing two seasons at Polk State College in Winter Haven, Fla. and one at MVSU.
Usher joins a Blue Hens squad that returns three starters from the 2012-13 team that went 19-14, finished second in the Colonial Athletic Association with a 13-5 mark, and advanced to the CAA Tournament Semifinals.
“Davon is a great addition to our program,” Ross said. “He is a young man who is very serious about pursuing his academic degree, as well as pursuing the opportunity to play in a winning program. He will fit in well with all we stand for at Delaware.”
About CAA Hoop Scoop
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
- Charleston Falls 62-58 To Auburn In NCAA Tourney
- Men's #CAAHoops Weekly - NCAA Tourney Preview
- Ten CAA Players Named To NABC All-District Team
- Seibring Earns Academic All-America Honors
- Charleston Draws Auburn In NCAA First Round
- A look back at Charleston's Run In #CAAChamps
- Men's #CAAHoops Weekly - Championship Recap
- Charleston Captures First CAA Championship
- Men's #CAAHoops Weekly - Championship Preview
- Strong Defensive Effort Sends NU Into Title Game