Sep 26, 2013, 1:28 PM EDT
It’s a season of change at Hofstra, where veteran head coach Joe Mihalich begins his first year with the Pride. Mihalich won 265 games and made five postseason appearances during his tenure at Niagara, and he hopes to replicate that success at Hofstra.
The sideline won’t be the only place where there will be new faces for the Pride. Only five letterwinners return from last season, but three are starters. Leading that group is senior forward Stephen Nwaukoni, who ranked sixth in the CAA in rebounding (7.9 rpg) and contributed 6.8 ppg a year ago despite missing the final five games with a shoulder injury. When Nwaukoni went down last season, junior forward Moussa Kone (6.5 ppg, 4.4 rpg) stepped up, averaging 14.0 points over the Pride’s final four regular-season contests. The duo will give the Pride a formidable presence inside.
Rounding out the group of returning starters is sophomore small forward Jordan Allen, who made 25 starts and averaged 5.0 points and 2.9 rebounds in a solid rookie campaign. Also back for Hofstra are sophomore forward Darren Payen and sophomore guard Adam Savion.
Several newcomers will have the opportunity for significant playing time. Freshman Eliel Gonzalez could earn the starting spot at point guard. The Pride has also added a pair of Division I transfers in the backcourt in graduate students Dion Nesmith (Monmouth) and Zeke Upshaw (Illinois State).
Did You Know: Hofstra head coach Joe Mihalich received the 2013 Skip Prosser Man of the Year Award, which honors those who not only achieve success on the basketball court, but those who display moral integrity off it as well. Mihalich was also the 2013 MAAC Coach of the Year and the 2013 NABC District 1 Coach of the Year.
About CAA Hoop Scoop
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
- Wright-Foreman Named ECAC Player Of The Year
- Coen Named NABC District 10 Coach of the Year
- Charleston Falls 62-58 To Auburn In NCAA Tourney
- Men's #CAAHoops Weekly - NCAA Tourney Preview
- Ten CAA Players Named To NABC All-District Team
- Seibring Earns Academic All-America Honors
- Charleston Draws Auburn In NCAA First Round
- A look back at Charleston's Run In #CAAChamps
- Men's #CAAHoops Weekly - Championship Recap
- Charleston Captures First CAA Championship