Oct 25, 2013, 10:14 AM EDT
Towson used a strong defensive effort in the second half to defeat Bloomsburg University 86-65 on Thursday night in the Tigers’ first game in new SECU Arena.
Towson led the CAA in FG percentage defense (39.6%) and rebound margin (+6.6 rpg) a year ago in producing the biggest turnaround in NCAA history. The 2013-14 preseason league favorites used the same recipe to rally from a 40-39 halftime deficit against Bloomsburg. The Tigers limited their opponent to just 25% FG shooting (6-of-24) over the final 20 minutes, forced 22 turnovers and had a commanding 52-31 rebounding advantage for the game.
Nine different players played double-digit minutes for the Tigers in the exhibition and nobody was on the floor for more than 27 minutes. Senior guard Mike Burwell led the way with 20 points, while 2013 CAA Player of the Year Jerrelle Benimon added 14 points, all of which came on 14-of-18 shooting from the free throw line. Vermont transfer Four McGlynn contributed nine points in 16 minutes in his Towson debut and freshman John Davis had seven points and six rebounds in just 11 minutes in his first collegiate contest.
About CAA Hoop Scoop
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
#CAASports on Instagram
There was an error retrieving images from Instagram. An attempt will be remade in a few minutes.
- #CAAHoops Summer School - William & Mary Men
- #CAAHoops Summer School - Towson Men
- Hofstra's Wright-Foreman Invited To CP3 Elite Guard Camp
- #CAAHoops Summer School - Northeastern Men
- #CAAHoops Summer School - UNCW Men
- Nine CAA Men's Basketball Players Selected To NABC Honors Court
- #CAAHoops Summer School - James Madison Men
- Three CAA Men's Basketball Programs Earn NABC Team Academic Excllence Awards
- #CAAHoops Summer School - Hofstra Men
- #CAAHoops Summer School - Drexel Men