Oct 31, 2013, 11:17 AM EDT
UNCW cruised past Belmont Abbey 101-51 and Towson topped Mansfield 85-65 in exhibition games on Wednesday night.
The Seahawks had five players score in double figures led by junior forward Cedrick Williams, who poured in 15 points on 6-of-7 FG shooting and also grabbed seven rebounds. Senior guard Tanner Milson contributed 13 points, backcourt mate Chris Dixon added 11 and seniors Shane Reybold and Marcus Graham had 10 points apiece.
UNCW shot a blistering 66.1% from the floor and dished out 28 assists with only 10 turnovers. Defensively, the Seahawks limited Belmont Abbey to 25.4% shooting from the floor and they came up with 13 steals.
“I was very pleased overall,” said fourth-year Head Coach Buzz Peterson. “It was a good game to get the jitters out. I told them that we’d play tougher teams, but we made good decisions in transition and did a good job of sharing the basketball.”
Towson got a game-high 32 points from senior Rafriel Guthrie in picking up its second straight exhibition win. Joining him in double digits were senior forwards Jerrelle Benimon (16 points) and Marcus Damas (11 points), and sophomore guard Four McGlynn (10 points). The Tigers also got seven points and a game-high nine rebounds off the bench from freshman John Davis.
Towson shot 51.1% from the floor and connected on 33-of-49 from the free throw line. The Tigers were also dominant on the glass, out-rebounding Mansfield 45-30.
About CAA Hoop Scoop
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
- Coen Named NABC District 10 Coach of the Year
- Charleston Falls 62-58 To Auburn In NCAA Tourney
- Men's #CAAHoops Weekly - NCAA Tourney Preview
- Ten CAA Players Named To NABC All-District Team
- Seibring Earns Academic All-America Honors
- Charleston Draws Auburn In NCAA First Round
- A look back at Charleston's Run In #CAAChamps
- Men's #CAAHoops Weekly - Championship Recap
- Charleston Captures First CAA Championship
- Men's #CAAHoops Weekly - Championship Preview