Nov 11, 2013, 8:53 PM EST
News and notes from the opening weekend of the CAA men’s basketball season.
College of Charleston
• Fell 70-48 at #3 Louisville last Saturday. Trailed just 29-27 at the half.
• Redshirt freshman guard Canyon Barry scored a team-high 10 points in his collegiate debut. The son of NBA Hall of Famer Rick Barry was 4-of-9 from the floor.
• Junior forward Adjehi Baru nearly had a double-double at Louisville with eight points on 4-of-4 FG shooting and a team-high nine rebounds.
• True freshman Joe Chealey started at point guard for CofC and contributed eight points, four rebounds and three assists.
• The Cougars face Charlotte in their home opener on Tuesday night. CofC has won five consecutive home openers.
• David Wishon, a 7-foot-2 transfer center from Tulsa, grabbed five rebounds and blocked two shots in 21 minutes at Louisville.
• Suffered 2-point losses to Richmond (71-69) and Charleston Southern (95-93) last week.
• Senior Devon Saddler averaged 23.0 ppg and 5.0 rpg in the two games, with a team-high 17 points at UR and 29 points and 7 rebounds vs. CSU.
• Saddler, who is the 2nd-leading active scorer in Division I behind Creighton’s Doug McDermott, moved into 2nd place on UD’s all-time scoring list with 1,716 points.
• Senior forward Davon Usher, a transfer from Mississippi Valley State, poured in 30 points vs. CSU and averaged 20.0 ppg for the week.
• Senior forward Carl Baptiste scored a career-high 12 points vs. CSU.
• UD’s 95 points vs. CSU was its highest total in a regulation game since 2006. The Hens took 35 three-pointers in the contest.
• Freshman forward Devonne Pinkard averaged 5.5 ppg and 4.5 rpg in his first two collegiate games.
• Dropped a 72-67 decision at #22 UCLA in their opener last Friday. Missed a game-tying 3-pointer in the closing seconds.
• Senior guard Frantz Massenat had a team-high 20 points, four rebounds, five assists and three steals against the Bruins.
• Massenat moved into 5th place in career assists (411) at Drexel and is on pace to become the third player in school history with 500 assists.
• Junior guard Damion Lee poured in 17 points and grabbed seven rebounds at UCLA. He’s just 88 points shy of 1,000 for his career.
• Senior forward Dartaye Ruffin pulled down a team-high 13 rebounds at UCLA. He has 626 career rebounds, which is the most of any active player in the CAA.
• Head coach Bruiser Flint is two victories shy of 300 for his career.
• Split their first two games under new coach Joe Mihalich, falling 88-84 to Monmouth before beating Fairleigh Dickinson, 80-58.
• Junior forward/center Moussa Kone posted back-to-back doubles and averaged 12.0 ppg and 11.0 rpg for the week. He tallied 10 points and 10 rebounds vs. Monmouth and had 14 points and 12 boards in the FDU win.
• Freshman Jamall Robinson averaged 11.5 ppg and 4.0 rpg in his first two collegiate games. He scored a game-high 15 points in the victory over FDU.
• Transfer guard/forward Zeke Upshaw scored a team-high 22 points in his Pride debut vs. Monmouth. Upshaw scored just 100 points in his entire Illinois State career.
• Senior Stephen Nwaukoni matched his career high with 13 rebounds against Monmouth. He’s 23 rebounds shy of 500 for his career.
• Hofstra plays its first road game at defending national champ Louisville on Tuesday.
• Lost 61-41 at #24 Virginia last Friday. JMU is 1-5 in season openers under Matt Brady, with all five losses coming to Top 25 foes.
• JMU didn’t have any of its five starters from last year’s CAA championship game on the floor for its season opener.
• Forward Tom Vodanovich had 11 points and four rebounds in his collegiate debut. He became the first freshman to lead JMU in scoring in a season opener since 2008.
• The Dukes had 102 of 200 minutes logged by freshmen and another 67 from sophomores at UVA. JMU is the youngest team in the country according to average class listing on its roster.
• Sophomore guards Ron Curry and Charles Cooke each poured in nine points against the Cavaliers and graduate student Andrey Semenov scored eight.
• Despite being the second-tallest team in the country, JMU was outrebounded 45-27 at UVA.
• Suffered road losses at Big Ten member Iowa (82-39) and Big 12 foe Iowa State (95-62) to open the season.
• Junior forward Cedrick Williams had a team-high 15 points and nine boards at Iowa and added 11 points against ISU.
• JUCO transfer guard Addison Spruill played well in his UNCW debut with 12 points against ISU and 10 at Iowa.
• Senior Chris Dixon hit 3-of-5 from 3-point range and scored a team-best 15 points at Iowa State.
• The Seahawks didn’t have a second-half turnover at ISU and committed only one in the final 20 minutes at Iowa.
• UNCW struggled with its shooting in the two games, hitting just 22.2% from the floor at Iowa and 29.7% at ISU. They were 7-of-39 from 3-point range on the trip.
• Fell 72-69 to city rival Boston University at TD Garden on Sunday. Led the Terriers by five with 2:30 to play.
• Junior forward Scott Eatherton posted a double-double in his NU debut with 15 points and a team-high 10 rebounds. The St. Francis (Pa.) transfer was 7-of-9 from the floor and also blocked three shots.
• Sophomore forward Zach Stahl came off the bench and contributed career-highs of 16 points and eight rebounds in 26 minutes.
• Freshman guard T.J. Williams tallied eight points and six rebounds in his collegiate debut.
• NU dropped its season opener for the first time since 2009 and it was also the Huskies’ first loss to BU since 2009.
• Northeastern out-rebounded Boston Univ. 41-30. The 41 rebounds were the most for the Huskies since Dec. 21, 2012.
• Junior Quincy Ford chipped in 10 points in the setback to BU.
• Rolled past Navy 72-45 in their first game at new SECU Arena. The crowd of 4,262 was the second-largest ever for the Tigers in a home opener.
• The 27-point margin was the largest ever for Towson over a Div. I school in a home opener.
• Senior Rafriel Guthrie scored a game-high 16 points on 5-of-6 FG shooting off the bench.
• Senior guard Mike Burwell had 13 points, a career-high eight rebounds and three assists against the Midshipmen.
• Vermont transfer Four McGlynn went 5-of-7 from 3-point range and scored 15 points in his Towson debut.
• Senior Jerrelle Benimon, who ranked third in the nation in rebounding (11.7 rpg) last season, grabbed a game-high 17 boards against Navy. He also had six points, four assists and three blocks.
William & Mary
• Couldn’t overcome an early 17-point deficit and fell 77-69 at Hampton in their season opener last Friday.
• Junior guard Marcus Thornton scored a game-high 21 points and dished out a career-best six assists at Hampton. Thornton has now scored double figures in 33 consecutive games.
• Freshman guard/forward Omar Prewitt came off the bench to contribute 15 points, a team-best seven rebounds and two steals in his collegiate debut. Prewitt’s scoring effort was the best for a Tribe freshman since 2006-07.
• Sophomore Terry Tarpey was 4-for-4 from the floor and scored 11 points at HU. It was his second career game in double digits.
• Sophomore forward Sean Sheldon set career-highs with seven points and seven rebounds off the bench at Hampton.
• W&M hosts Liberty and visits Final Four participant Wichita State this week.
About CAA Hoop Scoop
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
- Men's Basketball Coaches Teleconference - Feb. 21
- Men's Basketball Weekly Honors - Feb. 20
- Men's Basketball Recap - Feb. 18
- #CAAHoops Closeup with Brian Bernardi & William Adala Moto
- Men's Basketball Recap - Feb. 16
- #CAAHoops Closeup with T.J. Williams and Chris Flemmings
- Men's #CAAHoops Weekly - Feb. 15
- #CAAHoops Dunk Reel
- #CAAHoops Full Court Press - Luke Eddy
- Men's Basketball Coaches Teleconference - Feb. 14