Aug 29, 2014, 11:22 AM EDT
James Madison men’s basketball on Tuesday visited Second Home, a program providing care for children grades K-7 both before and after school, in Harrisonburg to give back to the local community.
According to the Second Home website, “Second home was created to meet critical needs of children from the most impoverished neighborhoods in Harrisonburg, Virginia. … Second Home’s mission is to ensure that working families have access to safe, affordable, quality child care which has a firm focus on academic services for their elementary and middle school children.”
The men’s team visited with the local youth and interacted with the kids on a firsthand basis. After helping students with homework, the Dukes joined the kids in shooting basketballs and playing games.
Junior Ron Curry said in the JMU athletics release, “It’s cool when the roles are switched … it’s good to have someone to look up to, and you want to be the guy that those kids look up to.”
“We know JMU athletes are enthusiastic, we know that they are hardworking and motivated and we know that they can show that kind of message to our kids,” Second Home Executive Director Patty Sensabaugh said, “that it takes hard work, but they can do it too.”
Also according to the organization, around 120 JMU student volunteers work with Second Home each semester.
“One of the things we are really trying to do is teach our guys to show something of themselves other than just the competitive nature of their personality,” Head coach Matt Brady said via jmusports.com. “Hopefully, it helps each of these guys to grow in some way as a person and as someone who’s involved in the community.”
James Madison starts the 2014-15 CAA conference slate on Jan. 3 versus Towson at home.
About CAA Hoop Scoop
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
- Charleston Falls 62-58 To Auburn In NCAA Tourney
- Men's #CAAHoops Weekly - NCAA Tourney Preview
- Ten CAA Players Named To NABC All-District Team
- Seibring Earns Academic All-America Honors
- Charleston Draws Auburn In NCAA First Round
- A look back at Charleston's Run In #CAAChamps
- Men's #CAAHoops Weekly - Championship Recap
- Charleston Captures First CAA Championship
- Men's #CAAHoops Weekly - Championship Preview
- Strong Defensive Effort Sends NU Into Title Game